Understanding your privacy and our commitment to keep it
Uses and Disclosures of PHI
Treatment, Payment and Health Care Operations. PreviMedica is permitted to use and disclose your PHI for purposes of (a) treatment, (b) payment and (c) health care operations. For example:
- Consultations. PreviMedica may disclose your PHI to another physician or health care provider for purposes of a consult.
- Payment. PreviMedica may use and disclose your PHI to your health insurer or health plan in connection with the processing and payment of claims and other charges.
- Health Care Operations. PreviMedica may use and disclose your PHI in connection with its health care operations, such as providing customer services and conducting quality review assessments. PreviMedica may engage third parties to provide various services for PreviMedica. If any such third party must have access to your PHI in order to perform its services, PreviMedica will require that third party to enter an agreement that binds the third party to the use and disclosure restrictions outlined in this Notice.
- Authorization. PreviMedica is permitted to use and disclose your PHI upon your written authorization, to the extent such use or disclosure is consistent with your authorization. You may revoke any such authorization at any time.
- As Required by Law. PreviMedica may use and disclose your PHI to the extent required by law.
- Research. Under certain circumstances, we may use and disclose Health Information for research purposes. For example, a research project may involve comparing the health and recovery of all patients who received one medication or treatment to those who received another, for the same condition.
Before we use or disclose Health Information for research, though, the project will go through a special approval process. This process evaluates a proposed research project and its use of Health Information to balance the benefits of research with the need for privacy of Health Information. Even without special approval, we may permit researchers to look at records to help them identify patients who may be included in their research project or for other similar purposes, as long as they do not remove or take a copy of any Health Information with them.
You have the following rights regarding Health Information we maintain about you:
a) Right to Inspect and Copy. You have the right to inspect and copy Health Information that may be used to make decisions about your care or payment for your care. To request this information please contact us the Patient Access Medical Record Request Form. Once the form is received and approved by the Privacy Officer, we will provide you with your Health Information.
b) Right to Amend. If you feel that Health Information we have is incorrect or incomplete, you may ask us to amend the information. You have the right to request an amendment for as long as the information is kept by or for us. You must tell us the reason for your request. Please contact and request the Medical Record Amendment Request Form.
c) Right to an Accounting of Disclosures. You have the right to request an accounting of certain disclosures of Health Information we made. Please contact us and request the Accounting of Non-Authorized Use or Disclosure Request Form. Once the form is received and approved by the Security Office we will contact you with an answer to your request.
d) Right to Request Restrictions. You have the right to request a restriction or limitation on the Health Information we use or disclose for treatment, payment or healthcare operations.
Please note that we will not grant requests for restrictions that pertain to your treatment. In addition, you have the right to request a limit on the Health Information we disclose about you to someone who is involved in your care or the payment for your care, such as a family member or friend.
For example, you could ask that we not share information about your surgery with your spouse or that we not share information with your insurance company if you choose to pay for your service. We are not required to agree to your request. If we agree, we will comply with your request unless we need to use the information in certain emergency treatment situations.
e) Right to Request Confidential Communications. You have the right to request that we communicate with you about medical matters in a certain way or at a certain location. For example, you can ask that we contact you only by mail or at work. Your request must specify how or where you wish to be contacted. We will accommodate reasonable requests. Please contact us and request the Confidential Communication Request Form. Once the form has been approved by our Privacy Officer we will update our records to reflect your request.
f) Right to a Paper Copy of This Notice. You have the right to a paper copy of this notice. You may ask us to give you a copy of this notice at any time. Even if you have agreed to receive this notice electronically, you are still entitled to a paper copy of this notice. You may obtain a copy of this notice at Cell Science Systems, ALCAT Laboratories or PreviMedica or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To exercise your rights described in this notice (other than to obtain a copy of this notice), please contact our Privacy Officer at the following address: